Wog with a Blog

I am not Italian however my  husband is, and so therefore food is very important!

A lot of people ask me about how I keep eating so healthy up.  I say it's all in moderation!

You can still enjoying your evening wine or choccie but think!

There are so many options out there, and although more expensive Organic Chocolate is my pick.

Organising what you're going to eat is also a key.

Healthy eating is not a fad diet it's a balanced diet all the time.

I usually spend Sunday's cooking up batches of sausage rolls for the kids lunch boxes for the week, and whilst I am cooking and making a mess in the kitchen I'll also use up things getting old in the fridge!  YES I COULD THINK OF BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY TIME BUT IT OUT WAYS HOW I FEEL ABOUT WHAT I PUT MY MINE AND MY FAMILIES BODIES!!

Old strawberries I'll make into strawberry jam - so easy! You can then use it on toast or make jam biccies with the kids.

My other tip is to buy good food.

If that's what's in your fridge you are prompted to make things that are good for you!

I get fresh food delivered once a week by The Lettuce Shop in Belmont by the end of the week I'll take everything out of the fridge and literally google what I can make with those ingredients!

I am lucky to have a Thermomix so a great thing to do is to Turbo ingredients together to either make soup or a creamy sauce.

The other thing I LOVE is roast veg!

You can make your vegetables beautiful and sweet by using lots of garlic in your roasting pan and roast your potatoes, pumpkin & carrots (all my 'orange foods' even sweet potato or suede) then you can use your creamy sauce to go over the top.

Creamy sauce I would use up all my mushrooms because you get a really thick texture, chives, basil, coriander, lentils or a lentil and legume soup mix (just a couple of handfuls) all your fresh herbs like basil, parsley and then a can of organic coconut cream boil up and pulverise it to go over the top of you cooked roast veg.  (I also use the garam masala powder that is in the Thermomix cook book for a bit more flavour in the sauce too.) - No Thermo? No Worries! Just use a teaspoon of curry powder to boost it - it will not be over spicy!

It's surprising how quick this takes and also you'll probably have left over sauce so the following morning you can make quick eggs!
Prepare a muffin tray  for baking - pre heat oven to around 200 celcius layer a piece of organic bacon on the bottom, spoon in your sauce on top to cover bacon and then crack an egg on top, bake in the oven until the egg looks cooked.  Absolutley delicious!

Once you start cooking from scratch with the basics you learn how ingredients and flavours will work together and it makes coming up with ideas easier or even just looking at recipes sites and you can add and subtract ingredients you may have at home.

You'll also find that by cooking from scratch you will have leftovers which you can re heat for tomorrow's lunch or freeze for the following week.  It's much more economical.

Absolute essentials to start cooking from scratch and healthy:

FRUIT AND VEGETABLES every shape and size you can roast veg, steam veg with seasoning to accompany your chicken, fish or meat, even mince meat you can cook up a veg and meat pie and chuck on a sheet of pastry on top VOILA!

PACK OF FROZEN PASTRY OR MAKE YOUR OWN IN THE THERMO ITS SO EASY AND QUICK!

BUTTER - ORGANIC or make own in Thermo

EGGS - FREE RANGE 

WHOLEMEAL FLOUR & SELF RAISING

BAKING POWDER

CHIA SEEDS (keeps you full for so long and high in omega 3 if you don't like fish - add to everything!

SESAME SEEDS (add to sausage rolls or home made bread or steamed veg)

POPPYS SEEDS (for your cakes and muffins/cupcakes)

QUINOA  (SWEET AND SAVORY DISHES CORE INGREDIENT IF YOU WANT TO STOP EATING RICE)

COUS COUS

FRESH HERBS BASIL PARSLEY CORIANDER THYME ROSEMARY CHIVES

GARLIC GINGER ONIONS RED ONION

MILK

(NUTS IN SEASON)

LEGUMES AND LENTILS (CHUCK THESE IN EVERYTHING YOU COOK UP)

ABORIO RICE (RISOTTOS, VEGETARIAN 'NEATBALLS')

Salt and Pepper

Cinnamon (anti bacterial great for adding to black tea and home made tomato sauce)

Lasagne Sheets

Tomatoe Puree


http://seasonalfoodguide.com/perth-wa-seasonal-fresh-produce-guide-fruits-vegetables-in-season-availability-australia.html

I make a point of eating things that are only in season, if you are consuming things that have been sourced from around the world it would have gone severe refridgeration or freezing methods, eat local and eat within the season that the fruit veg and nuts have been grown under the right conditions.  It's to suit the weather and what your body needs for that season too!

Consuming product all year round I don't believe could be good for you, if you think back to the stone age years you only ate what was grown at the time to survive I like to think along the same lines else we are over consuming and it's nice to look forward to certain foods through out the year too!

Comments

Popular Posts